Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dog Portrait "Buddy"



"Buddy" Oil 6x8"










This little guy belongs to some young girls who are second cousins of mine. They live down in Oregon so I only get to see them a couple of times of year. I think this painting will make a great Christmas gift.... something I am doing this year is painting small oils for family members if it seems fitting. I am finding that when I am working on a painting that is specifically for someone else, I change how I paint. I don't get experimental for starters. I follow the rules (which is great), but I also tend to paint a little tighter. Some of my family does not appreciate the looser style and wants to see more detail. This also goes for portrait commissions when the client will be most impressed with a photographic rendering of the animal. Do you paint paintings for gifts? If so does it change how you paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment